Sunday 10 February 2013

Gong Xi Fa Cai

Day: 30

Location: Melaka, Malaysia

I must keep this post brief unfortunately as I'm about to drop some things off to stay here in Melaka while I'm in The Philippines and this will include my computer. I may add more text to the photos later.


In Singapore I saw the incredible Botanic Gardens and National Orchid Garden. Despite being the youngest white tourist my about 30 odd years it was a great place to stroll around. My friend Eugene generously offered a bed at his parents' house to me on Monday before his arrival from Aus on Wednesday evening. His parents Priscilla and Joseph were so kind - showing me around the local area so I could go out and explore for the next couple of days.


China Town was alive with stalls and shops filled with people buying everything necessary for a happy and prosperous New Year.

The Arts-Science Museum held an exhibition with Lego art and another called 'Ouside In' by three Magnum Photographers. Seeing these easily filled in an afternoon.



Eugene didn't waste any time once he arrived as we met a group of his friends and went to a nightclub called Zouk at about 11 that evening. A long night followed and while the place had all of the hallmarks of an Australian club there were a few things that made it distinct to what I'm used to such as the VIP area where drinks are purchased by the bottle and served to you in your own section of a booth.

Thursday started late, for me anyway. We met more of Eugene's friends - Tasha and Michelle and took sight seeing to a level I have never experienced - it consisted of many meals, shopping, a night safari, prawning, driving through some areas that were as alive at 2am as pm and a stroll through Gardens By the Bay. Michelle was an excellent tour guide ensuring that my visit to Singapore would include sampling important local cuisine such as pig intestines nor would it skip any attractions like the red light district which we cruised through with windows up, doors locked and all limbs inside the vehicle at all times.





The next day I came to Melaka on minimal sleep, entering Malaysia on a tourist visa as opposed to the student pass that I will use when I return.
Melaka has been great for accommodation, people and atmosphere in the lead up to the New Year which was celebrated with many fireworks, a dragon dance, money packets and some other customs that I would struggle to explain.

Tomorrow I go back to Singapore with Steph before our flight to The Philippines the following morning. I will return to KL on the 24th for orientation at Uni on the 25th even though that concept seems foreign after so long away from lectures, tutes and everything else that accompany them.





Ben x

Aus

No comments:

Post a Comment